- 1 large savoy cabbage
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 medium to large onions
- 2 tablespoons canola or Bertolli olive oil .. or even butter is fine
- 1 cup white or brown rice. . . and 2 cups water
- 3 Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Morton salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans tomato soup
- 2 small bottles (individual serving sizes) tomato juice or vegetable cocktail . .like V8
- 1 can or small carton chicken broth
- In the bag that you brought your savoy cabbage home. . .place the cabbage in the freezer and leave for 12 hours or overnight.. . .remove and leave to thaw at room temperature. .this will take awhile. . so I often take it the night before the day I want to make the cabbage rolls. The leaves will be soft and easy to use without having to boil them.
- In a small saucepan or a microwave safe covered dish. . .cook the rice. . set aside to cool. The rice can be made the day ahead and kept chilled in the refrigerator overnight.
- Chop the onions fine and saute them slowly until they are golden brown. . .set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, break apart the ground beef, add the salt, pepper, eggs, sauteed onions and the rice. . mix together until combined. . use your hands.
- Remove the leaves from the cabbage, cutting away the tough part closest to the core.
- Spray your large casserole or two small casserole dishes with cooking spray.
- Put about a 1/3 to 1/2 cup meat mixture at the bottom of the leaf and roll up. . the meat amount varies depending on the size of the leaf. . repeat until all the meat is used up.
- In a large mixing bowl. . .combine the tomato soup, juice, and broth. . pour evenly over the cabbage rolls. Cover with foil. . or the lid.
- Bake the cabbage rolls slowly at 325 for two hours. . serve or cool on the counter. .remove the foil (if you don’t. . you will have little bits of foil on your cabbage rolls where ever it touches. .) cover with plastic wrap. .and either refrigerate or freeze.
- For reheating . .thaw first if frozen . .remove the plastic wrap and cover with a lid or foil. . and just reheat in the oven. . for about an hour .. at 325. . . or if you want, they can be reheated beautifully in the microwave on sensor reheat.
Serves : 10
SP per serving : 13