Buttermilk scones sweetened just to perfection studded with chocolate chips. Kind of like eating a giant chocolate chip cookie for breakfast… without the guilt.
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- cooking spray
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips. Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands.
- Form dough into an 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4″ thick.
- Using a knife, cut dough into 12 wedges all the way through.
- Brush egg white over dough and sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes, depending on your oven. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 servings, Serving Size: 1 scone
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 8
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 199.5
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 257.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 13g
- Protein: 3.5g